Provision of Tourist Visa in Nepal
Department of Immigration, Government of Nepal issues tourist visa for the travellers visiting Nepal from different entry points entering Nepal. Traveller should note the information regarding visa before entering Nepal border for the hassle-free travel.
- The foreign tourist visiting Nepal shall be granted the tourist visa.
- The tourist visa shall be granted for a period in maximum of 90 days in a visa year (i.e. January -December).
- A tourist who departs before the expiry of the period specified in the visa issued in a visa year shall not be allowed to use the visa by adding the remaining period to another visa year.
- If any foreigner entering into Nepal towards the end of a visa year desires to spend days of following visa year may use such a facility.
- Provided, however, that the computation of the fees for such period shall be made on the basis of the total period of his stay.
- Traveller should submit the application is a prescribed format.
Tribhuvan International Airport is the only international airport in Nepal. Immigration Office, TIA (Tribhuvan International Airport) under the Department of Immigration facilitates tourists flying to Nepal by providing Visa on Arrival. ‘On Arrival’ visa procedure is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. The choice is yours.
If you have obtained a visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
How to change Tourist visa to another category?
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are ‘Tourist Visas’. They bear multiple Re-entry facility. Tourist Visa ‘On Arrival’ is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ‘ Tourist Visa’ to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
Nationals of designated countries are requested to acquire Visa prior to their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
First Step to get Tourist Visa
- Fill in ‘Arrival Card ‘
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website Department of Immigration / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the
- airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring a visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- Second Step to get Tourist Visa
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- Get the receipt
- While you can use different modes of payments (at visa fees collection counter), we advise you to carry some cash to be on the safe side.
On Arrival Visa Fee
- 15 Days – 25 USD
- 30 Days – 40 USD
- 90 Days – 100 USD
Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
Hand in your documents to the immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues the visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
Gratis Visa (Visa for Free)
Nepal government issues Gratis Visa on free of cost in the following categories :
- Children below 10 years
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen is eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of the Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa ‘On Arrival’.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
- Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
- Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. For Tourist Visa extension visit Immigration Office, Pokhara too. However, the non-tourist visa extension has a different provision and need to visit the Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
One can visit the website of the Department of Immigration of Nepal for direct online visa application. (Online Application)