Upper Mustang Trek
- Grade: Moderate
- Duration: 17 Days
- Destination: Nepal
- Activities: Trekking, Mustang Trek
- Best Seasons: All Seasons
- Highest Altitude: 3,810m/12,500ft
- Start-Ends: Kathmandu - Kathmandu
- Price of Package:USD 1975
Upper Mustang Trek is one of the world famous trekking destinations of Nepal. It lies beyond the Himalayas in the north-west part of the country. The wide and mostly barren land is amazingly beautiful. The entire region of Upper Mustang lies in the rain shadow area formed by Annapurna and Dhaulagiri massive. The region is home to Damodar Kunda and Saaligram, a unique fossils stone. The entire region is sacred among Hindu and Buddhist.
Tibetan Buddhists largely inhabit the region. Upper Mustang was a separate kingdom hence ruled by an independent King till the very recent days. It was an ancient Himalaya kingdom that extended to the northern part of Nepal at the top of the Kali Gandaki River.
The government of Nepal applies its control region policy for foreign visitors. Nepal government allows only limited numbers of tourist to enter the region every year. The Upper Mustang Trek region is rich in cultural heritage, ancient caves, farmlands, art, and architecture. Culture and traditions of people in upper Mustang resemble that of Tibet. Hence, Upper Mustang has another identity as Mini Tibet.
- Kaagbeni River Gorge
- Saaligram, unique fossils stone
- Muktinath Temple
- Choser Cave and MonasteriesLuri Gumpa
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,428ft)
- Day 02: Kathmandu: Sightseeing in UNESCO heritage sites and trek Preparation
- Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (827m/2689ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 04: Fly to Jomsom (2,700m/8898ft) and trek to Kagbeni (2,810m/9,216ft): 3-4 hours trek
- Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m/10,004ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen (3,475m/11,398ft): 6-7 hours
- Day 07: Syanbochen to Ghaymi (3,520m/11,546ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 08: Ghami to Charang (3,620m/11,873ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 09: Charang to Lo-Manthang (3,730m/12,136ft): 3-4 hours
- Day 10: Explore Lo Manthang/ Acclimatization
- Day 11: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3810 m/12,500ft): 6-7 hours
- Day 12: Drakmar to Ghiling (3,806m/12,484ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 13: Ghiling to Chhuksang (3050m/10,004ft): 5-6 hours
- Day 14: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2,700/8,856ft): 6-7 hours
- Day 15: Fly back to Pokhara
- Day 16: Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Day 17: Final departure
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1,300m/4,428ft)
The Oriental Journeys representative will welcome you at Tribhuvan International airport and transfer you to the hotel. After having rest, a special welcome dinner will be organized in a traditional Nepali restaurant. Overnight stay at hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 02: Kathmandu: Sightseeing in UNESCO heritage sites and trek Preparation
An experienced guide will receive you from the hotel for sightseeing after having breakfast. You will be taking to the UNESCO world heritage sites of Kathmandu valley including Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath temple. Pashupatinath temple and Kathmandu durbar square. Overnight stay in Kathmandu.
Day 03: Drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara (827m/2689ft): 5-6 hours
Today, you will be checking out from the hotel and depart to Pokhara by AC tourist bus. We will get the lunch on the way. On the way, you will be enjoying with the scenic drive along the Trisuli river. In the evening, you will be roaming around Pokhara Lakeside after settling in the hotel. Overnight stay in Pokhara.
Day 04: Fly to Jomsom (2,700m/8898ft) and trek to Kagbeni (2,810m/9,216ft): 3-4 hours trek
We will check out from Pokhara early in the morning and catch a morning flight to Jomsom. From Jomsom, we will start our trek officially following the Kaligandaki river. Overnight stay in Kagbeni.
Day 05: Kagbeni to Chele (3,050m/10,004ft): 5-6 hours
We start the trekking early in the morning along the Kaligandaki river. We need to walk in the sandy trails with strong winds until reaching uphill ascend. When we continue the trekking, the route takes us to Tange village where we take a small break. After this, the ridge trail leads us to Chele. Overnight stay at Chele village.
Day 06: Chele to Syanbochen (3,475m/11,398ft): 6-7 hours
The trek takes us towards upwards from where we need to cross two passes. The trail is strenuous and also observing our condition while crossing Taklam La Pass and the Dajori La Pass. On the way, we will enjoy the amazing views of Yakawa Kang, Damodar Danda and TIlicho. After this, we follow the descending trek and pass the Ramchung cave. Then we will be heading to Syanbochen village.
Day 07: Syanbochen to Ghaymi (3,520m/11,546ft): 5-6 hours
The trek continues and heads towards Yamda La Pass after crossing a few chortens and rural villages. The ascends is steep till Yamda La. After this, we head through Popular forest trails. A final climb leads us to Nyi Pass where we take a break. Then we again follow the descending trails lead to the fields of Ghami village. Overnight stay at Ghami.
Day 08: Ghami to Charang (3,620m/11,873ft): 5-6 hours
We follow the descending trails through rough and slippery terrain. Once we reach Ghami Khola, we cross the suspension bridge and start ascending trail. While heading upwards, we pass by beautiful Mani Walls and reach Charang La Pass. Overnight stay at Charang.
Day 09: Charang to Lo-Manthang (3,730m/12,136ft): 3-4 hours
We will be following descending trail fro Charang chu canyon which takes us to the river. The trail leads us to the Lo La Pass. After reaching the top of the pass, we get to relax and enjoy the amazing views and panoramas. A final descend takes us to the village of Lo-Manthang. Overnight stay at Lo-Manthang.
Day 10: Explore Lo Manthang/ Acclimatization
Today, we will take a rest for acclimatization and explore the medieval town of Lo-Manathang. We will be doing sightseeing at the three gompas: The Jhampa Gompa, The Thupchen Gompa and The Chhoeda Gompa. In the late afternoon, we will be heading towards LO-Manthang. Overnight stay in Lo-Manthang.
Day 11: Lo-Mangthang to Drakmar (3810 m/12,500ft): 6-7 hours
We follow the different route to leave Lo-Manthang and we reach Gyakar village. After a short break, we continue our trekking towards Drakmar. Overnight stay in Drakmar village.
Day 12: Drakmar to Ghiling (3,806m/12,484ft): 5-6 hours
From Drakmar to Ghiling, we mostly follow the descending trails but while trekking, we try to avoid strong winds. When we continue hiking downwards, we reach Ghiling. Overnight stay at Ghiling.
Day 13: Ghiling to Chhuksang (3050m/10,004ft): 5-6 hours
The trek leads us towards Lo-Manthang today and after 5 hours of exciting trekking, we reach chhuksang. Overnight stay in Chhuksang village.
Day 14: Chhuksang to Jomsom (2,700/8,856ft): 6-7 hours
We will start trekking from Chhuksang and prepare a trek back to Jomsom. At the end of the trekking, we will join the Annapurna circuit trail and heading towards Kagbeni. Overnight stay in Jomsom.
Day 15: Fly back to Pokhara
After having early breakfast, we catch a flight back to Pokhara, the city of the lake. After arriving in Pokhara, we transfer to the hotel. Overnight stay in Pokhara.
Day 16: Drive from Pokhara to Kathmandu
In the early morning, we will drive to Pokhara. We take a scenic bus drive back to Kathmandu and stop on the way for lunch at the highroad restaurant. After arriving in Kathmandu, we transfer you to the hotel. Overnight stay in Kathmandu.
Day 17: Final departure
You will have free time in Kathmandu before moving to the airport. We will transfer you to the airport 3 hours before the departing time.
- Accommodation at 3-star hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara with bed and breakfast plan
- Teahouse accommodation during the trek
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek
- Welcome and farewell dinners
- All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary
- Domestic flights (Pokhara-Jomsom-Pokhara)
- Guided city tour in Kathmandu by private vehicle
- Entrance fees for sightseeing/monument visits as per the itinerary
- An experienced, English-speaking and government-licensed trek leader and assistant trek leader
- Porter service
- Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food and accommodation
- Down jacket and sleeping bag (to be returned after trip completion)
- Oriental Journey's trekking bag/duffel bag, t-shirt and trekking map are yours to take
- All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (Conservation area entry permit fee, Special Permit for upper Mustang, TIMS)
- Medical kit (carried by your trek leader)
- All government and local taxes
- Nepalese visa fee
- Excess baggage charge(s)
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara (due to early arrival, late
- departure, early return from mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara (and also in the case of early return from the mountain than the scheduled itinerary)
- International flights
- Travel and rescue insurance
- Personal expenses (phone calls, internet, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, shower, etc.)
Sorry, no testimonials found.